Easy DIY Skin Brightening Rice & Saffron Face Mask
For all those who think that the kitchen is only the place where you stuff your face, I’m here to break that myth.
Would you believe me if I told you that everything you use in the kitchen has the potential to solve many of your skin care problems?
Let’s start with dull skin, shall we?
Your grandmothers, great-grandmothers and their grandmothers all used rice to brighten their skin. It was one of their best-kept secrets until the world tumbled upon K-Beauty essentials.
Can’t believe your eyes? Read again.
THEY USED RICE!
Here’s why rice is so great — rice water contains vitamins, minerals and amino acids which are vital for beautiful, bright and glowing skin. These essentials not only brighten your skin, but also fight signs of ageing, tighten pores and offer protection from the sun. Rice water also contains Ferulic acid, which is a great antioxidant and Allantoin, known for it’s anti-inflammatory properties and will help you fight the pimple that showed up right before an important meeting.
Okay let’s get our hands dirty and make a face mask that will brighten your face enough for you to resemble a headlight.
You will need:
1) One cup of rice – (For best results use Japanese rice but don’t fret if you don’t have any)
2) 5-6 saffron strands
3) Rice Paper
1) Boil rice. When the rice is soft and the water turns milky, strain the same through a sieve. Save rice and rice water
2) Let the rice water cool down to room temp.
3) Crush the saffron strands in a few drops of water, and when the liquid turns yellow, mix the same in the rice water.
4) Take the rice paper and cut it into 5 pieces (2 squares; 2 wide rectangles and one long rectangle – the squares for your cheeks, the wide rectangles for your forehead and jaw and the long rectangle for the nose)
5) Soak the pieces in the rice and saffron liquid for 15 minutes, and when the rice paper turns soft, apply the same on your face.
1) The rice can be used as a scrub by mixing and grinding the same with milk/yoghurt.
Now let’s not waste any of the leftovers. You can preserve the liquid in your fridge and use it to make the mask again, or use it as a skin brightening spray/toner. But please toss it in the trash after 3 days.